Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PDF Viewer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Shotgun Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shotgun Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PDF Viewer
    Posted: 26 Dec 10 at 1:58AM
Joe:

I have not created a stand-alone viewer per se'... and I've used different types of viewers depending upon the project.  All these are in huge projects so it would not be a trivial task to send you something.

I've only used QuickPDF for simple page preview.  I've also used the GdPicture component for PDF viewing... it is a higher level viewing tool, but costs money since it's a commercial tool.  Also have used AcroPDF.dll  provided by Adobe, embedded in some projects.  That one requires the end-user has Adobe Reader installed which is not usually an issue.

To view PDF's with QuickPDF you would need to render the PDF content to an image object and display the image.  If you want to create a full blown viewer with all the bells and whistles, (rotate, zoom, paging, scrolling, etc) you're probably better off with a higher level language tool like GDPicture Viewer or the free AcroPDF.dll from Adobe.

Tom
joeitaliano View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joeitaliano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 10 at 1:42AM
sorry tom

had not read the last line

c++ or c# either

prefer c++ but my other programmer can do c#

joe
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joeitaliano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 10 at 1:18AM
tom

all makes clear now

i will take the livecylce form and convert to acroform. they dont use special feature in those forms. being government department they just want to use the latest gizmos without thinking about the issue

any chance of a viewer created with quickpdf lib that i can try out

cheers and merry xmas and new year to you

joe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shotgun Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 10 at 1:09AM
Hey Joe:

You can open/view PDF's with livecycle features... you just can't use the features or edit the document.  If you attempt to edit a Livecycle PDF form field it won't work.  If you attempt to append a page to a Livecycle PDF the Livecycle features will no longer work.  You'll get all kinds of warning messages in Adobe Acrobat & Reader.

And Yes... NO other 3rd party developer can access or process Livecycle features.  It is Adobes attempt to recapture market share they've lost to others over the years.

I think you'll find the majority of the PDF world still uses the Acroforms or XFA forms format which is supported in QuickPDF Library.

If you must process or create PDF's with Livecycle features then you are stuck with Adobe Products only.

Regarding a PDF Viewer, what language are you using.

Tom
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joeitaliano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 10 at 12:36AM
hi tom

thanks for the reply

are you saying that a editable pdf form created with livecycle cannot be opened or process ie. filed by quickpdf or any other third party product.

do you have a viewer that was created with quickpdf that i can try. i tried to download the powerbasic one that ingo sent me the link to but i was not able to download it

many thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shotgun Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 10 at 12:31AM
Hi Joe:

The QuickPDF Library is one of the most complete libraries on PDF you'll find.  It has dozens of functions for creating, filling, editing, flattening, etc., form fields.  See this link:

For Javascript see this link:

What Ingo was talking about are PDF's created with LiveCycle advanced features.  Live Cycle is a proprietary format owned exclusively by Adobe.  No one... not FoxIt, Nitro, or QuickPDF can edit or use the Live Cycle features.  Adobe owns it and is not sharing with anyone.

I hope this better answers your questions.

Tom
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joeitaliano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 10 at 10:52PM
hi Ingo

hope you had a merry xmas

this restriction you mentioned i tried out and as usual Adobe is trying to make it all too difficult for everyone

however this will not be a problem for me as my custom viewer will be in my application so it will be used as the main pdf viewer and no need to use adobe free reader

i hope you can answer my question - can i by using the quickpdf library create a reader like foxit that i can edit/enter the formfields or is it just a viewer without any editing functions

cheers

joe
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 10 at 2:13PM
Hi Joe!

Please read my blog at:
Sorry... but i can only say f...k you adobe and f...k you livecycle.
Good products but very expensive and adobe had done a lot to
be sure that the customers have to buy adobe products .-(
Do some modifications on forms made by newer adobe products
and it will be impossible to work on these forms with adobe reader
or other adobe products anymore.
This has nothing to do with QuickPDF ... it's the same with any other
external third party tools.

Cheers, Ingo

Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joeitaliano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 10 at 12:42PM
hi Ingo 

and merry xmas to you

will quickpdf allow me to edit the form fields.

can i pre-fill the form fields. i was planning to read a csv file that consists of the field name and value and pre populate it

if the form fields have some javascript associated with it will quickpdf execute that javacode

many thanks

joe

Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 10 at 12:34PM
Hey Joe ;-)

You can find a pb-sample with qp here:
Here in the sample section you'll find vb6-code as well.
With a real viewer you shouldn't expect big compatibility problems.
Perhaps advanced adobe-functionalities you'll missing.
If you want to modify an adobe livecycle form with an external third party product then the problems will raise and raise but only for a viewer you can use QuickPDF.
It's not very difficult... read the file into a stream... render stream to image... put the image on a picture-component...

Cheers, welcome here and
Merry Christmas for you and your family

Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joeitaliano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 10 at 4:09AM
hello

i am new to this forum. 

we are valuating this product with a view to creating a custom viewer.

has anyone already created a viewer

if so would it be possible for us to get a copy of it as we have PDF files that have been created with adobe livecycle and what we to do is  to see if there are any compatibility issues.

thanks

joe@csolutions.com.au

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic