Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saving PDFs with Data

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote it@pellcomp.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saving PDFs with Data
    Posted: 16 Feb 10 at 2:24PM
Hi,

I have an idea I'd like to put out there and see if anyone can offer an opinion. Here's what I want to do:

1. Open a PDF form into memory using our software via the QuickPDF library.
2. Grab data from our database and set form field values in the PDF with these values (again using QuickPDF).
3. Save the PDF file to a new file that the user specifies (you've guessed it...using QuickPDF).

This is all implemented and working brilliantly, but the next step is...

4. Allow the form data to be edited in Adobe Reader by enabling Reader Extensions.
(and ultimately)
5. Send the form to the end user to complete, save and return.
6. Import the completed form back into the software to update the database.

I know that it's impossible to do that automagically using QuickPDF (http://help.quickpdflibrary.com/questions/111/adobe-reader-extensions-usage-rights). However, if I were to open the resulting PDF file (from step 3) using Acrobat, I would then have the option to manually Save the file using Reader Extensions and distribute it.

I also see that Acrobat can be controlled using COM/OLE (see "Acrobat Interapplican Communication" at http://livedocs.adobe.com/acrobat_sdk/9.1/Acrobat9_1_HTMLHelp/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm?&accessible=true).
So my question is... has anyone used OLE successfully to control Acrobat, and automatically managed to save a PDF with Reader Extensions enabled?

I've had a play with it using a Delphi test harness and can't seem to consistantly open a PDF (sometimes Acrobat doesn't open, sometimes it just refuses to open my PDF, occaisionally it'll do as it's told), and have never managed to enable Reader Extensions even when the PDF would open.

Anyone else ever tried this? Am I crazy for even thinking this would work? I know this isn't strictly a QuickPDF question, but any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
James
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 10 at 2:33PM
Hi James!

If you're working on a the described (newer) pdf-forms with non-acrobat-products you can't work on it with acrobat-products later anymore. That's the money-protection from adobe :-(
Save the whole form with a new name won't help.
Saving all contents and building a new pdf will help... and this you can do with QuickPDF ;-)

Cheers, Ingo

Edited by Ingo - 16 Feb 10 at 2:34PM
it@pellcomp.co.uk View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote it@pellcomp.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 10 at 2:43PM
Thanks Ingo,

I understand that you can't work on an extended PDF with non-Adobe product as it will corrupt the document.
What I want to do is use a non-Adobe product (our software) to call the Acrobat interface (via OLE) to produce the document with the extended features. I'd therefore be using an Adobe product to do the extensions, but it means that the user won't have to do it themselves as we'd automate the process.

Does that make sense?

James
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 10 at 3:59PM
Hi James!

Nevertheless the clients need the original acrobat product - so they won't save money ;-)
Only a better usabillity could be your advantage.
So you can say if it makes sense ;-)

Cheers, Ingo
it@pellcomp.co.uk View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote it@pellcomp.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 10 at 4:09PM
Ingo,

I realise that they'll need Acrobat (Adobe know how to make money!), but in my experience customers will pay a little bit more for a "one-click" solution. In this case the only other way to automate the process is via Adobe LiveCycle, so they'll be saving lots of money by buying one or two Acrobat licences!

I just have to determine if it's possible to do it automatically.

James

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic